Fair Trade Day 2010
As Umtha participated in the Fair Trade Day, on the 8th of May at the Tokai Farmers Market, it was just one of the many companies worldwide, standing for and promoting the standards of Fair Trade.
· Creating opportunities for economically disadvantaged producers.
Artisan giving a practical demo
· Transparency and accountability.
· Capacity building.
· Promoting Fair Trade.
· Payment of a fair price.
· Better environmental practises.
· Long term trade relations based on solidarity, trust and mutual respect.
Representatives from the various arms of the Fair Trade Organisation.
· Gender equity
· Safe and healthy working conditions
· Respect and adherence of child labour laws.
Basically Fair Trade is about putting the 'heart' back into business!
With these standards ingrained in our businesses, Umtha and few other companies such as African Home, Bean There/Back to Africa, Waxit, and Township Patterns celebrated Fair Trade day together, to remind each other why we do this and hopefully raise awareness and encourage other companies to do the same.
Umtha Jewellery & Township Patterns
We had the exhibit at the Tokai farmers market, a lovely location that reflects some of the beauty of the Western Cape. It was a beautiful day, as the rain let up and the sun broke through the clouds to make it the perfect day for an outdoor market.